ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Enter the legal field with confidence as an integral part of the legal team. Master law office operations and gain the ability to work alongside lawyers in any setting where legal work is performed.
This Program is Perfect For
Those looking to work in an office environment while investigating legal cases, providing customer service, and other support for a legal team. Paralegals are tech-savvy individuals with high levels of reading comprehension, writing, communication skills, and critical thinking. They use computer software to communicate, conduct research, and manage digital documents and data. This program is perfect for those with attention to detail, integrity, dependability, initiative, and cooperation. Experienced paralegals can assume supervisory responsibilities, overseeing team projects or delegating work to other paralegals.
What You Will Learn
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Provide a functional definition of a paralegal, identify the careers available and skills necessary for success.
- Compare and contrast the roles of professional associations, regulations, and educational requirements for entry into the paralegal profession.
- Identify the role of other legal professionals and the paralegal’s relationship to those individuals.
- Explain, interpret, and apply the rules of ethics and professional responsibility that govern legal professionals.
- Acquire knowledge of fundamentals of business practices, communication with clients and systemized law office operations.
- Describe the structure of the American legal system and assess how that system functions in regard to civil, criminal, and appellate legal processes.
- Summarize and evaluate various areas of substantive law. • Demonstrate effective communication and critical thinking skills by utilizing appropriate legal analysis and vocabulary in the production of oral and written discussions pertaining to a variety of legal issues.
Once you fulfill all certificate program requirements as outlined in the Academic Plan, you may request your certificate.
Ways To Register
- Register online with a credit card at https://register.edoutreach.unlv.edu/ Returning students should login with their Continuing Education Student ID number (typically in the format of X00-00-000 or XW0-00-0000) or email address. New students should click on the Sign Up button or the “create account” link to create an account.
- Register by phone with a credit card by calling the Information Desk at (702) 895-3394. Customer Service hours for the Information Desk are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed on university-observed holidays).
- Register by fax by submitting a Registration Form and credit card information to (702) 895-4195. Registration forms received outside of regular Customer Services hours listed above will be processed on the next business day.
- Register by standard mail by mailing a Registration Form with payment to the address listed below. Payment must accompany the form and can be any of the following:
a. Credit Card information listed on the Registration Form
b. Check or Money Order made out to Board of Regents
c. DO NOT SEND CASH
Mail Registration Forms to:
UNLV Continuing Education
4505 Maryland Parkway, Box 451019
Las Vegas, Nevada 89154-1019
- Register in person by visiting the Information Desk located at the UNLV Paradise Campus, 851 E. Tropicana Ave., on the corner of Tropicana and Swenson. Customer Service hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed on university-observed holidays).
Visit Fees and Related Policies for more information regarding acceptable forms of payment and other related policies.
State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) Compliance
If you are registering and residing outside of Nevada while completing this online program, please read the following SARA disclaimer and disclosures document prior to registering